Did you know that a whopping thirty percent of staff members in the US will call off of work and fake being sick? Just a few of the reasons workers feel the need to call off and play hooky for the day include family emergencies, child care issues and unpalatable bosses. During the Holidays the number of sick days rises with the most popular days being Fridays and Mondays.
CareerBuilder recently posted the most outrageous reasons your staff members call in sick. If you feel like having a laugh, read on!
• Employee’s sobriety tool wouldn’t allow the car to start
• Employee forgot he had been hired for the job
• Employee said her dog was having a nervous breakdown
• Employee’s dead grandmother was being exhumed for a police investigation
• Employee’s toe was stuck in a faucet
• Employee said a bird bit her
• Employee was upset after watching “The Hunger Games”
• Employee got sick from reading too much
• Employee was suffering from a broken heart
• Employee’s hair turned orange from dying her hair at home
When you have some time to reflect after hearing an outrageous whopper, think about how your business culture could be part of a lack of trust and truth. It is always a two way street. Knowing your culture is genuine and sincere will make it easier to correct the actions or replace the offender.